When it comes to awe-inspiring visual experience, nothing beats a direct view led display or DVLED in capturing the attention of people and at the same time effectively conveying the message. It is the product of continuous innovation and development in the industry.
Exploring Direct View LED Display (DVLED)
In understanding the role that direct view LED video wall plays in today’s visually forward society, you need to learn first what it actually is and what it offers.
What is a DVLED or Direct View Led Display?
DVLED or Direct View Led Display is an upgrade from the usual LED screens. Compared to most LED displays, DVLED does not use an LCD panel but instead, an array of light-emitting diodes on the modules to serve as the display pixels of the actual screen. The LEDs used in the module are responsible for the creation of text, images, and video on the screen.
The images are created from each LED and pixel, specifically the group of RGB (red, green, and blue) bulbs. Since they are usually clustered in a capsule, the ensemble can be customized to any shape or size, unlike when using polarized glass.
Direct view led screens also feature a bezel-free design that allows them to have seamless video walls without their noticeable display borders. This makes the design unlimited and open to more possibilities.
Defining Direct View LED Display Terms
To better understand DVLED, let’s start with learning the different terms you might encounter along the way.
- Pixel pitch – pertains to the distance between RGB pixels or clustered capsules (measured from their centers)
- Chip on Board or COB – refers to when the LEDs or color chips are installed directly on the circuit board, leading to great color but tight pixel pitch and contrast
- Surface Mount Diode or SMD – refers to when grouped colored LEDs are mounted directly on the circuit board
- Integrated Matrix Device or IMD – also known as the 4-in-1 SMD, refers to the same thing as SMD but only four times more in the number of pixels per module
- Dots in Place of DIP – comprised of 3 colored dots which are positioned in the pixel’s center, which results in a bright and coarse quality image
Direct view led displays use an innovative technology that allows them to go beyond the limitations of the standard LCD screens. There are different technologies at work, especially when it comes to the different types of LED screens today. And this is the same way for DVLEDs.
For DVLEDs, it is necessary to achieve the necessary brightness, IP rating, and pixel pitch in order to effectively operate. Pixel technology has improved throughout the years and it has been utilized and maximized in use to push the functionality of direct view led screens. The technology varies depending on the type of pixel used in the device.
The types of pixels can affect the DVLED’s performance, including contrast, durability, and even viewing angles. The layering tricks of the diodes and pixels are relevant in creating the effect you might want to accomplish.
Basic Components Of DVLED
A direct view led display consists of several components that help effectively operate the entire device and produce top-notch quality and vibrant images and videos. Some of its hardware components are the following:
This component is part of the DVLED that pertains to the actual screen. They can come in a variety of forms, including flat, curved, and even 3D. They also come in different sizes and specifications.
This refers to the base structure that holds the entire direct-view LED screen in position. This keeps the entire ensemble up by taking into account all factors like the weight and size of the display. The location is also often taken into account, whether the display will be installed indoors or outdoors.
This hardware item is the component responsible for sending the video signals to your DVLED, along with the panel arrangement for a single seamless display compared to a more complex control with multiple panels. It allows scaling and making adjustments to the settings.
This component refers to anything that serves as the root of the content that will be displayed on the screen. It can come from a computer or a video playout deck, depending on where the image or video is stored.
Basic Aspects Of DVLED
To further understand what you can expect from direct view LED displays, here are the basic aspects you can look into when looking for these screens.
A direct view led screen is significantly brighter compared to the standard LEDs and LCD displays, standing with an average of 4,000-10,000 nits compared to the standard at most 700 nits. Its high brightness makes it a good option for locations with high ambient light.
DVLEDs are known to be 75 percent more energy-efficient compared to other flat panels. While brightness and contrast settings must be taken into account, it cannot be denied that it’s most cost-effective and environmentally friendly this way.
Direct view LED screens can be configured and set up using small LED panels and connecting them with each other. Without bezels, these screens can be seamlessly put together like a puzzle and so the size and shape are limitless.
With the advancement of technology, DVLEDs last much longer than the standard flat screen. They mostly have an estimated 80,000 hours of lifespan while the common flat screens can last at least 10,000 hours and stretch up to 50,000 hours for commercial displays.
The life expectancy of DVLEDs is vital for every panel, especially since the panels are tiled with each either for the entire setup. If one panel goes out first, the entire design will be rendered visually unpleasant. Replacing the individual panel will also be difficult because of the one-ness of the design.
Advantages of Direct View LED Displays
To have an insight into whether direct-view led displays are ideal for you or not, here are the advantages you can be guaranteed to benefit from.
Clean & Seamless Look
DVLEDs have this no-bezel structure that allows the panels to be pieced together as if they all belong into one ensemble in the first place. This unified look is pleasing to the eye and allows the seamless display of video content. This no-bezel structure means that the panels do not have gaps leading to even installation and smooth image show.
High Color Quality & Bold Statement
Direct view led displays are also notable for their high color quality, showing vivid and vibrant images and video content. With incredible color contrast, these displays are able to pronounce a bold statement perfect for commercial and marketing purposes.
Limitless Size & Shape Possibilities
With how DVLEDs are designed and structured, they can come in a variety of sizes you wouldn’t think possible. These screens are scalable and can be arranged in whatever size and shape you prefer. The addition of more panels will also look seamless because of its no-bezel design.
Can Be Installed In Sun-Lit Areas
Direct view led wall screens have this incredible brightness that makes it possible to be used in the open outdoors where the sun shines on them. And you won’t have to worry about the glare disrupting whatever is shown on the screen.
Like most LEDs, DVLEDs are energy-efficient. They can last for a long time (approximately 100,000 hours) and won’t require meticulous maintenance and constant repair or replacements.
Direct View LED Display Applications
Direct view led walls have a variety of applications you can look into, primarily due to three factors – limitless size and shape, superior brightness, and customization. Breaking many barriers that many past flat screens were unable to scale, DVLEDs are able to be used in these following setups.
- Indoor spaces – DVLEDs can be useful for any presentation conducted indoors, whether it’s a business presentation, a simple display of information, or a grand cinematic experience. Some examples of these spaces are the cinema, convention centers, airports, universities, and private offices.
- Outdoor spaces – Direct view led displays are perfect for outdoor applications because of their no-glare design even when exposed to direct sunlight. These displays can easily be installed in open sports arenas and highways.
How To Choose Your Ideal Direct View LED Display
Now that you have a basic understanding of what direct view led displays are and the possible benefits you can get from using them, the next step is to learn how to pick your choice among the litter. Here are some of the considerations you can take into account when choosing a DVLED you can use.
- Distance of the closest viewer & pixel pitch – When taking into account your audience, the pixel pitch will play an important role in your decision. If the viewer is close, you can use a DVLED with a smaller pixel pitch but if it’s farther, a bigger pitch will be better.
- Display size – When you’re thinking about getting a large LED screen, going for a direct view led display is the best option. This is especially recommended if you’re thinking about using at least 110 inches of display.
- Price & cost-effectiveness – Set a baseline budget you need to follow for your purchase. While it may not be cheap, the price of DVLED has lessened throughout the years and its lifespan is also impressive so it can be considered as a good investment.
Direct view led displays are currently dominating the visual experience in tech-forward cities all over the world. Whether you’re thinking about a grand marketing effort or you want to invest in good equipment for presentations at work, DVLEDs can be a smart purchase. Make sure you explore everything there is about these screens before putting money on them.