Today’s visual experience has improved so much that some even showcase very realistic scenes you can get lost in. Two of the devices that can make this experience possible are video walls and projector displays. And they often dominate the shows and presentations of businesses and organizations all over the world. Recreating this very same experience takes a lot of working and learning.
For video walls vs projector display, which is better is a question worth pondering. Each of the options has its unique features and capabilities, as well as weaknesses and limitations that you need to know about. And learning all about them will help you be better equipped to make a decision.
Exploring Video Walls
To learn between video walls vs projector display, which is better, it is important to check out your options and their respective features. And you can start by exploring video walls and everything about them.
Understanding What Video Walls Are
When you use many screens together in order to create a singular display, this can be called a video wall. Made from either LCD or LED displays, this collection of monitors makes use of controllers, processors, and matrix switchers, making it possible to have unified content even using multiple screens. These devices help coordinate the content to show on the display, including small details and information on specific screens on the entire wall. Identifying video walls vs projector display, which is better, will require an understanding of this process.
Video walls can be 4 x 4 small or as large as 144 x 72, which means that they are scalable and can easily be tailored based on the needs, whether they are for simple conferencing or grand trade shows. They are also the perfect venues for advertisements and marketing gigs. The walls are eye-catchy and bright that people can’t help but stare at them. This can help you answer the question, between video walls vs projector display, which is better?
Common Types Of Video Walls
To figure out between video walls vs projector walls, which is better, consider the different types of video walls to explore. LED video walls and LCD video walls are two of the most basic types you can consider. It simply means that the walls are either made of LED screens or LCD screens.
LED Display Video Walls
- More vibrant and vivid colors
- Can be used under direct sunlight
- Can run for at least 50,000 hours and at most 200,000 hours
- Features seamless no-bezel design
- More cost-effective in the long run
- Higher initial cost
- Possible inconsistency issues (brightness and colors) when using LED screens from different batches
LCD Display Video Walls
- Offered at a more affordable initial cost
- Has a bezel in the design that creates a border on each screen and so has delineation that can be distracting
- Often mistaken for televisions
- With inconsistencies that can be difficult to control using a system controller or processor
- Might have a higher installation fee
- Not as flexible in terms of configuration compared to LED screens
Pros And Cons Of A Video Wall
Weigh the pros and cons of a video wall to help you decide between video walls vs projector display, which is better. Here are some of the major benefits and drawbacks you can expect.
Pros Of A Video Wall
Here are the notable benefits of using video walls that can hopefully help you choose between video walls vs projector display, which is better.
- Efficient Energy & Cost-effective – LED video walls can operate using less energy and at the same time last longer, making them both energy-efficient and cost-effective.
- Smart Investment – Since LED screens can last for a long time, you won’t have to worry about repairs and replacement costs which makes them a good investment to consider.
- Environmentally friendly – LED screens function using less energy and so have reduced carbon footprint and use of fossil fuels.
Cons Of A Video Wall
These are the downside to using video walls and possible drawbacks when deciding video walls vs projector display, which is better.
- More expensive initial cost – Video walls can be significantly costly with LCD screens being more affordable than LED screens.
- Thinner & May Be Fragile – Since these screens are structured to be thinner, they can be prone to easy breakage.
- Light Quality – There are possible issues with the image brightness and colors influenced by the LED screen’s age and temperature.
Exploring Projector Displays
To continue evaluating video walls vs projector display, which is better, the next step after knowing about video walls is to learn more about projector displays. Let’s start with defining what a project display is.
What is a projector display?
A project display pertains to a boxy device that beams light on a wall or blank screen to display images, videos, and other content you need. It is one of the earliest devices to be used for large-scale shows. It is more prevalent in old-school cinemas, where darkness is required so that ambient lighting can be controlled and images would be shown clearer.
Types of projector displays
Deciding on video walls vs projector display, which is better will demand that you know the different types of project displays you can use and compared video walls with. With the advancement of technology, different types of projects have been innovated, one improving upon the other.
Standard Lamp-based Projectors
- Uses colored lenses and filters from there
- Uses a color wheel to be able to show vibrant images
Ambient-light Rejecting (ALR) Projectors
- More expensive compared to a simple matte white screen
- Improves contrast of the images
Laser Light Projectors
- Long-term operation
- More cost-effective
- Takes out the need for lamp replacements
- Minimal maintenance is required for filters
LED (White Light) Projector
- Common in cinemas and educational settings
- Uses RGB-led bulbs filtered through a lens
- Versatile & easily accessible
Pros And Cons Of A Projector Display
Listing down the pros and cons of a project display can also help you decide on video walls vs projector display, which is better. Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of using a projector display that is worth taking note of.
Pros Of A Projector Display
There are advantages you can enjoy and consider when deciding video walls vs projector display, which is better.
- Affordable – High-quality projector displays are made from cheap materials so the upfront cost for the device is significantly low.
- Saves space – The device is a single box, which means that you won’t have to install an entire wall of screens just to use it.
- Portable – Since it’s a single box, you can take it anywhere and use it anywhere (as long as the location meets the requirements for the presentation and use).
Cons Of A Projector Display
Here are some of the disadvantages of projector displays and what can influence your decision on evaluating between video walls vs projector display, which is better.
- Requires a dark location – Project displays won’t operate under direct sunlight and will need a darkened room to display images.
- Easily creates shadow – Someone walking in front of the box can immediately create shadows on the displayed wall.
- Complex installation – Besides the specific room requirement to function, project displays may also require complicated installation and expensive maintenance needs.
Video Walls Vs Projector Display, Which Is Better
To analyze video walls vs project display, which is better, comparing and contrasting them both in terms of similar aspects and factors can help. To help you with this task, here is a summary of their similarities and differences at one glance.
|Aspects & Factors to Consider||Video Walls||Project Displays|
|Lifespan||50,000 to 100,000 hours||At most 20,000 hours|
|Image Visbility & Quality||More vivid images||30% less visible|
|Clarity||High Definition (HD) & High Dynamic Range (HDR)||Standard Definition (SD)|
|Content Flexibility||More fluid and flexible content management||No content manipulation|
|Upfront Cost (Initial Cost)||15 to 20 percent more expensive (upfront cost)||More affordable upfront costs|
|Operational & Maintenance Cost||More cost-effective (more energy-saving costs) & reduced maintenance costs||Expensive maintenance costs (Up to $4,500/bulb)|
|Maintenance||Easier LED repair & software update||Requires routine bulb replacement|
|Setup & Arrangement||Simpler to install & quicker to power up||More complicated to install and lengthy setup|
These differences between the two can aid you when evaluating between video walls vs projector display, which is better. You simply have to look into the factors you prioritize more before making a final choice.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Between Video Walls & Projector Display
In answering the question, of video walls vs projector display, which is better, it is important to look into the situations where you will need the former or the latter. Video walls are significantly more popular because of how grand and vibrant the images displayed in them, it doesn’t mean though that they should always be the choice. Here are some situations where you can use each of these devices.
- The setup is direct under the sunlight
- For eye-catchy and grant marketing stunt
- More complex content management where you need to have full control of the content
- You’re looking for a valuable investment
- Limited budget for the upfront cost
- One-time use or you will only use it rarely
- Basic display needs
- The setup is a dark room
Both projector displays and video walls are significantly different from each other in their respective strengths and weaknesses. Deciding between video walls vs projector display, which is better will require a thorough assessment of your needs and how these displays can cater to those demands.
While video walls seem to have this obvious superiority over projector displays, this does not diminish the importance of the latter in any way. Both of them have situations where they can be ideal to be used so make sure to evaluate them and match the displays to your requirements appropriately.